Please follow the "comment" link above for more information on comments, course readings, course requirements and grading.
The course will analyze multidimensional reasons for mass violence and genocide with a focus on the 20th century. On the basis of current research literature, case studies and source materials we discuss definitions and explanatory models.
- Differentiate between definitions of various forms of mass violence
- Identify various aspects of the perpetration of genocide
- Gain knowledge of the evolution of the concept and definition of genocide
- Become familiar with trends in the efforts of intervention into and prevention of genocide
- Compare and contrast styles of cinematic representations of specific cases of mass violence